The AATF is the only professional association devoted exclusively to the needs of French teachers at all levels. The mission of the AATF is to advance the study of the French language and francophone literatures and cultures both in schools and in the general public. Membership is open to anyone over the age of 18 interested in the teaching of French and Francophone cultures.
Why join the AATF? Membership has its privileges! Below are just some of the benefits of becoming an AATF member:
- Participate in the National French Contest. Le Grand Concours motivates your students to study French and allows them to show what they know and win awards while doing so.
- Form a chapter of the Société Honoraire de Français.
- Take advantage of professional development opportunities. The AATF and its commissions organize workshops, seminars, and an annual convention where issues of concern to French teachers are paramount. Perfect your French, learn how to use the Web in class more effectively, find out how to support your French program, or gain knowledge to influence standards development in your school or state at these meetings.
- Meet other teachers and share ideas. Local chapter meetings, regional workshops, and the annual National Convention give you the opportunity to learn from and share with your colleagues. Your membership allows AATF officers to be your voice nationally and regionally and gives your own voice more weight as you promote French locally.
- Compete for AATF awards and scholarship opportunities. Apply for a Summer Scholarship or submit a proposal for an AATF Small Grant Award. Nominate an outstanding student for the AATF Outstanding Senior in French Award.
- Promote French whenever and wherever you can. The AATF has developed materials and flyers for promoting French study, and their work to help teachers build their programs continues. We also sponsor National French Week, an annual celebration of the French language and its many cultures where we ask teachers to showcase French throughout their school and community.
- Keep informed about the latest trends in French literature, culture, and pedagogy. The AATF National Bulletin and the award-winning French Review are included in your membership dues. Read articles by your colleagues and publish your own work in these widely disseminated periodicals.
For more information, contact AATF Rochester Chapter, c/o Candace Black, Eastridge HS, 2350 Ridge Road East, Rochester, NY 14622, Tel: (585) 356-0951, firstname.lastname@example.org or AATF National Headquarters, Mailcode 4510, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901; Fax: 618-453-5733; Tel: 618-453-5731; E-mail: email@example.com